Burton fire crews extinguish an early morning fire at a mobile home in what firefighters describe as a very close call; as well as, an increasing amount of emergencies that seem to be causing more injury and damage.
Burton firefighters were summoned to a report of a fire at a single wide mobile home on Shanklin Rd at the Laurel Village mobile home park at approximately 8am this morning. Firefighters arrived to find a smoldering fire underneath the mobile home in the insulation. The resident was not home at the time.
The smoldering fire had burned a considerable amount of insulation by the time firefighters arrived leading them to believe the fire had been burning all evening, and lacking only enough oxygen to fully engulf the home. When firefighters entered the home if was full of smoke.
This fire was the most recent in a string of increased activity for the Burton Fire District in just over a week, and the 47th call already in 2011. In just eight days Burton firefighters have responded to 16 motor vehicle accidents including a fatality, and 13 fires, seven of which have been in residences.
Top of Page